Monday, January 18, 2010

Double Trouble


I was really in the mood for cookies the other night but I'm trying not to overdo it this year (she says as she contemplates the muffins presently baking in the oven). So I made this Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie recipe from my Deanna House book. I halved the recipe and gave most to the members of my cohort. So, I don't feel guilty about making these.

I'm sharing the recipe below. But I did alter a major part: I thought I had oatmeal, but as I reached for that familiar Quaker character in the cupboard, I realized I was reaching for a canister of grits. GRITS! Wtf. No regular old oatmeal in site. I did, however, have several packets of instant oatmeal. Granted, they were Maple Brown Sugar flavor, but they had to do. And the cookies were actually really good! They got the approval from my cohort, and my fiance. So, enjoy!

You'll need:

1 cup of softened butter
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 and 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of cooking oatmeal or several packets of instant oatmeal (I used 6)
1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Cream margarine with sugar. Beat in the egg. Stir in the water and vanilla
  • Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir in with first mixture.
  • Add oats and chocolate chips. Fold in.
  • Drop spoonfulls onto baking sheet.
  • Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment