Wednesday, September 16, 2009

There's Always Time for Pie

As crazy busy as I've been, I had the sudden urge Saturday to do some baking. I feel like it's been so long; plus we have this great big (comparatively speaking) kitchen now, and I feel like I haven't put it to good use. So, pie time it is. I went with an old favorite, apple.

I used this basic pie dough recipe from the Food Network. Then preheated the oven to 400. I prefer my apples to be kind of crunchy but B likes his more stew-ie. Neither one of us like too much goopy stuff inside. So, for the filling:
  • Peel, core, and wedge five apples. Actually, I did three big ones then realized how much trouble I was in, and did up two more.
  • I'm not sure if you can bake an apple pie without sauteing the apples first, as I've never done it. So, once the apples are all ready throw them in a pot after melting about three tablespoons of butter and let them heat up.
  • Add about a half cup of sugar. When they are as crispy as you think they should be (I don't taste, I can usually tell by how easy a fork can go through). At the very end, sprinkle on X amount of cinnamon and nutmeg. This should be done according to personal taste - I don't like too much of either.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes
Now here comes trouble. When I moved, I forgot that I threw out my two 8-inch pie plates because they were looking kind of jenky. I meant to buy more, and definitely forgot. The closest resembling pie plate I had at hand was a 12-inch tart plate. Uggggggh.


Totally not enough dough for crust! That is why the top is so hole-y and messy. I did a lot of moving around when weaving the pieces in and out. Meh. Despite all the issues, the pie tasted pretty good. Even better with vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment