Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bakin' in the Mornin'

Now that we have so much space in our kitchen and have been going to the grocery regularly (we can actually take home a trunk-full instead of only buying what we can carry down the block! That's one point for New Orleans) there is no excuse for me not to bake more frequently. I'm trying to make it a regular thing. We ran out of cereal Saturday and I wanted something fulfilling. I went to a friend's house the other morning and she served us hot biscuits and homemade jam and it was delicious. I didn't make the jam, but I did whip up some delicious buscuits. Nothing fancy, just Jiffy, whole milk, sea salt, and butter.

And yes, that is a paint brush you see in the corner. We can't seem to find our regular kitchen brush and we've been using this to barbeque. It works fine, you just have to make sure you use a brush whose bristles won't pull out and you have to wash it really, really well. I like to roll the dough into a cylinder, kinda like store-bought bake-a-home cookies, and cut them up to form into neater circles. I put them in for about 4 minutes then flip to give them a flatter shape - makes them easier to cut. I know it's simple, but I'm trying to get back into good habits. We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment