Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Return/Exchange Game

The damage from Sunday was not so bad. Here's the thing - I'm not a cheapass, but I'm a very careful shopper, and I don't shy away from returning things. So I sometimes shop and end up returning or exchanging half my stuff. It's the thrill of the chase, right?

So Sunday: Didn't get the converter because I talked to mom and she thinks she might have one. I bought 2 white tees from American Apparel, a long flyaway vest from Express, shorts from Banana Republic, Clinique moisturizer and MAC lipliner from Bloomingdales, and another long button-down vest, skinny jeans, and a checked stole from Uniqlo.
After one day I got full-on buyer's remorse about the Express vest I partially bought it because I thought it was the one Jessica Alba had on in US Weekly and turns out, it's not even the same one. Don't judge me. I returned it. The shorts from BR are great, only I've already switched them for Navy instead of Olive. They cost $20 after my birthday and credit card rewards, total score. I'm a little sad I didn't buy something more substantial thank make-up at Bloomingdale's, but it's probably better that I don't use the card to supplement a more expensive purchase and just stick to things I need. Only now I have an annoying $10 left on the card. I adore my Uniqlo purchases - the jeans were $30 and fit really well. And they hem them for free! Everything I got there was on sale. I used to think Uniqlo was lame-o but it's actually pretty awesome. For $30, I might even spring for another pair of skinny jeans.

After this frenzy, I proceeded to order a bathingsuit from Victoria's Secret and jeans from the Gap and have sent back to exchange everything except the bathingsuit top back for another side. Sigh.

The moral of the story is: if you're going to shop a lot, at least be picky. Don't just shop to shop - re-think purchases all the time. Never compromise fit, color, or your overall happiness with a product because you don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging.

Stay tuned for Thursday's Take it or Leave it - starring a fantastic find at Steven Alan I couldn't bring myself to buy right that second. You'll have to let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment