Saturday, May 2, 2009

Venturing to the Other Side of the Gowanus

This morning, I ventured out of Carroll Gardens over to the Brooklyn Lyceum on 4th ave and President for the Anti-Depression Craft Market. I used to be in this area more often, when I lived near the Gowanus Canal. Everything was under $30, which was great. I didn't go nuts at all though, and escaped with only this great print by Dailey Crafton. I got it in navy ink and it is very reminiscent of places I've lived in New York.

Afterwards, I stopped by Brooklyn Mercantile on Fifth Ave and 4th St. in Park Slope . I had been to look around previously, but this was before my interest in sewing began. The setup is nice, as they have a lot of kitchen and household wares for sale in the front of the store. The back is dedicated to fabric and notions. It didn’t seem like they had a ton of selection in the fabric department; I’d definitely turn to Brooklyn General, around the corner from my house, first. They actually have a good amount of notions, and I was able to score a tailor’s chalk pen, bobbins, thread, and embroidery floss. But they didn’t have a great assortment of colors for the latter two items, and none of the displays were in good order. Maybe they were between things, I don’t know, but it seems like you would want your store to be in tip top shape for the weekend. They do offer an array of classes, which I may be interested in sometime this summer. Apparently, there is a sewing room downstairs, but I didn’t get a chance to check it out. I'm not writing the place off, but feel the same for this place as I do for Fiber Notion - I won't be making any special trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment