Monday, June 27, 2011

Monkeying Around



It's only fitting that I follow up my working out post with a super fatty baking post - yay! Things have to even out, right? I love sweets and monkey bread is super easy, super indulgent, and super bad for you. I exercise so that I CAN eat stuff like this.

In our household, monkey bread is typically something reserved for the holidays. B's mom makes it for Christmas morning and it's a treat everyone looks forward to. But we were in Rhode Island a little while ago and the bed and breakfast we stayed at served it one morning and I've been thinking about it ever since! I used a very basic recipe from Pillsbury. See below:

You'll need:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
1/2 cup raisins, if desired
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12-cup fluted tube pan with shortening or cooking spray.
  • In large -storage plastic food bag, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. Separate dough into 16 biscuits; cut each into quarters. Shake in bag to coat. Arrange in pan, adding walnuts and raisins among the biscuit pieces.
  • In small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; pour over biscuit pieces.
  • Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn upside down onto serving plate; pull apart to serve. Serve warm.

No nuts for me, because I'm allergic, and no raisins either, because they are gross. I used a spring form pan instead of a fluted tube - I thought it would be easier to get out when finished, and I was right.
I also melted butter in a ban and melted the brown sugar. Next time, I think I'll reduce the mizture by about 25% - there was just so much topping.

Love how this turned out. It made for a very special Father's Day treat for B.

No comments:

Post a Comment