Thursday, September 23, 2010

What a Bad Friend


Remember this? From December, 2009? As in, 10 months ago? I feel terrible for my friends whose wedding happened to fall within my engagement year. I neglected all of them. I began knitting this afghan for them about a year ago a couple months after they got married, thinking I'd be done by February. Then that past, and I figured I could finish sometime in the Spring....and here I am months later. They just visited this weekend and I was finally able to hand over the finished product. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I have a few regrets. First, I 'm never doing a paneled afghan again. Mainly because you know EXACTLY how much further you have to go (e.g. 4/5, 3/5, 2/5...it's maddening). Plus if you know anything about my knitting personality you know that I. hate. finishing. I hate sewing things up. Worse yet, I hate sewing one panel sufficiently, magically getting better at it after sewing two more, and having to undo my work so it all looks perfect. It's quite a burden to bear, this perfection thing...just kidding. I'm really not a perfectionist, but I really did want this to look good for my friends. They said they liked it, and I believe them. It was done in 5 panels with alternating back and front cables. I used this Newbury Cross pattern from Lionbrand, though I think you have to sign up with them to access the pattern. I made one more panel than they recommended and added a border to the right and left panels. Looks pretty nifty if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. It is awesome and we love it! Thanks for showing us around!

    ReplyDelete