Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Makin' Moves

Today is a big day. For over a year, I’ve been preparing to apply and attend (more) graduate school, this time for a Ph.D. It’s crazy…beginning in January of last year, I was studying for the GRE constantly – on the train, at work, on weekends. After August I dove into school searches and applications. I Interviewed throughout the first third of this year. And it has all paid off. Today is huge because April 15th is the deadline for students to tell schools who have offered admission their final decision. I applied to twelve schools – UC Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Tulane, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, UNC, NC State, Duquesne, Columbia, Fordham, and the Graduate Center at CUNY. I interviewed at eight and was offered admission to six. I have chosen to go to Tulane.


New Orleans, here I come. I am beyond excited. Not only am I thrilled to go back to school, but I love the discipline I have chosen, school psychology, and will be working with professors who conduct interesting and meaningful research.

This is a huge life choice, I realize this. But I always felt like a visitor in New York, though I’ll have lived here for four years. I don’t have immediate family here, and I came here to go to NYU and live in an urban environment. I am amped to move to an amazing city, one that is simultaneously desperately in need but also throbbing with life. So. Excited.

I will miss the shopping. God, will I miss the shopping. But there’s always the internet, where I make most of my purchases anyway, and I’ll be back to visit New York a lot, as I have many friends here. This is probably better, since I spend way too much on clothes, shoes, and bags. I’m sad to leave all the great and unique yarn and fabric stores. New York, especially Brooklyn, is truly one of a kind in this sense. New Orleans is packed with artisans though, and I’m sure I’ll be able to make do. Plus, moving to a new city = new apartment = so many crafting opportunities! When I’m not busy conducting assessments and writing papers, of course.

Let me know if you know anyone who lives there and can hook me up with a new friend, or if you have a favorite bar or restaurant or something there. I need all the help I can get!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your choice! (Even though I've known about it for quite some time, haha) This is an exciting time for you -- new location, new routine, new lifestyle -- soak it in and enjoy every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you get to try all new recipes for gumbo! oooh i am so excited for you!! when is the big move anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! I've been wondering what the final decision was!! So EXCITING!! And let me tell you I have found my shopping spending has actually gone up (along with my fashion blog reading) because I am not immersed in awesome opportunities...I'm trying to figure out how to correct that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really could not be more proud of you for taking this next step, going through the process, following through with everything you started. You've earned an amazing opportunity and I know you'll take full advantage of it. Best of luck and I can't wait to hear about the adventure.

    ReplyDelete