Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Expenses of a New Hobby

I originally began knitting and sewing because I thought it would be so cool to be able to make my own clothes. I love wearing the hates, gloves, and scarves I've made for myself over the years and am proud to not have lost too many finished pieces. We're making a simple wrap skirt in my sewing class and I'm pretty excited about it. The material I chose reminds me of the sound of music curtain play clothes Maria makes the children in The Sound of Music. That was about $20 for the requisite 2 yards. Then there were scissors, a seam ripper, thread, pins, bias tape, and sewing machine needles. Oh, and my awesome brand new Rowenta iron. It adds up. I really can't complain too much, as my sewing machine was 100% free, thanks to my pal Lindsey. The truth is, start-up costs are always going to be there and it will all hopefully pay off. There are ways to cut costs, such as making your own pin cushion, as I did here using this pattern and these modifications. I used scrap yarn and stuffed with cotton balls. I read somewhere that an old lunchbox would serve well as a good sewing kit case. I got this Care Bears lunchbox off ebay years ago and believe it or not, actually used it in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment